Illinois Ag in the Classroom provides teachers important, interesting and even fun classroom curriculum on agriculture for free! Make sure the teachers in your life have incorporated an Ag Mag into their spring 2018 curriculum and get those requests to your county ag literacy coordinator today!
Ag Mags are 4-page, colorful agricultural magazines for kids. They contain information about agriculture, bright pictures, classroom activities and agricultural careers.
Many Ag Mags are interactive. They are set up for smart board usage in the classroom and give teachers opportunities to engage their students with various videos, online articles, and real-world applications to help students understand how what they are learning in the classroom makes a difference in real-world discussions.
Best of all, Ag Mags are designed to meet specific learning standards. As an example, the Corn Ag Mag includes the following note:
This Ag Mag complements, and can be connected to, the following educational standards:
Common Core State Standards:
- ELA-Literacy – RI.4.2; RI.4.4; RI4.7; RI.4:10; W.4.7-4.9; SL.4.1; SL.4.4; L4.1; L4.6
- Mathematics – 4.MD; 5.MD
- Next Generation Science Standards:
- Interdependent Relationships in Ecosystems: 3-LS4-3; Energy: 4-ESS3-1; Structure,
- Function, and Information Processing: 4-LS1; Structure and Properties of Matter: 5-PS1-3;
- Structure and Properties of Matter: 5-PS1-4
IL Social Science Standards:
- Human-Environment Interaction: Place, Regions and Culture: SS.G.3.4; Human Population: SS.G.3.4;
- Exchange and Markets: SS.EC.2.4; Causation and Argumentation: SS.H.3.4
There are tons of other free resources available to teachers to incorporate agriculture education into their classrooms AND meet state learning standards. For more information, check out the Ag in the Classroom website here.